Thursday, February 17, 2011

Banana Bread

I love to bake and one of our families all time favorite lunch box must haves is my BANANA BREAD, I have three versions, Chocolate Chip, Cranberry Sauce and Mixed Berries. Today I will be sharing 2 versions with you. If there's interest for the mixed berries I can add that too!


Saturdays are usually my baking day and I always do two double batches once every 2 weeks, because my kids and hubby love to eat and well maybe I take a nibble here & there too. That gives me 6 loaves (I seperate the double batches into 3 seperate loaf pans). These recipes reflect one batch and one double batch.

Chocolate Chip Banana Bread



Chocolate Chip Banana Bread

2 cups all-purpose flour sifted
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt

1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup shortening OR softened butter

1 cup mashed ripe banana (2 to 3 medium)

1 cup Chocolate chips (I use Hersey's Milk Chocolate or Semi-Sweet)


Directions:

Pre-heat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8x4 inch loaf pan (save the wrappers from the butter to coat the pans.

Cream butter, sugar and eggs. Add bananas and mix. Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add to creamed mixture and beat. Slowly add in chocolate chips. If you find the mixture to be a bit dry, add one more banana.

Pour batter into prepared pan.

Bake 60 to 65 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes and then remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack. 1 loaf (18 servings). I cut mine into individual peices and then freeze so that they come apart more easily.



Banana Cranberry Sauce Bread





Banana Cranberry Sauce Bread

1/2 cup shortening OR softened butter
2 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs

2 1/2 cups mashed bananas (3 - 4 bananas)

4 cups all-purpose flour sifted
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp salt

1 cup cranberry sauce (I use the frozen Ocean Spray Cranberries & Recipe that come with the bag.)

Directions:

Pre-heat oven to 350. Cream butter, sugar and eggs together. Add bananas and mix well. Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add to creamed mixture and beat. Slowly add in cranberry sauce. If you find the mixture to be dry, add one more banana or 1/4 cup more of cranberry sauce.

Bake 65-70 minutes in 2 greased loaf pans.

Cool 10 minutes; remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack. Makes 2 loaves (32-34 servings).

* I normally cook the above recipe in 3 loaf pans for a shorter amount of time (55-60 mins., so that the younger kids get a smaller sized piece as they eat a bit less than the rest).


Both these recipes freeze up well, happy baking!!http://adventuresinpixieland.blogspot.com/p/recipes_17.html

No comments:

Post a Comment